Thursday 22 August 2013

That all important CV and using mobiles while crossing the road and at traffic lights


Hmm..before we can post our CV online on our blog or do a video CV, I think we need to get our basic CV right. We typically use so much of jargon and dead phrases ..and yes, I'm guilty of it too.

I've always used 'team player' in my CV, but just saw an article today which states that this is typical of most CVs.

What's your opinion on having your photo on your CV? Or putting references or 'references on request'.

I think we all need a crash course on the basic CV first, so I'm going to consult a friend in HR to get her perspective and I'll get back to all of you.


On a slightly different note, I've noticed that we don't see to have any downtime anymore. I've seen people crossing the road with their eyes glued to their mobile phones to check that Tweet or Facebook post or who likes their wonderful pic. While driving, I watch other drivers at traffic lights. No longer are their eyes fixed on the traffic light or observing their surroundings for anything untoward. Oh no- their eyes are fixed downwards on their mobile. They seem quite happy to wait for someone to honk them from behind to tell them the light has changed to green. But what happens when every motorist is looking at his mobile screen?

We're going to crash into a pole while walking or step into traffic while walking if we keep focusing on the that mobile screen? Will that tweet seem so important if you're in hospital or badly injured? The same goes with driving. Let's focus on the road and not on our mobile screens.

Sorry about the rant, but just needed to get it out of my system. Take care and let me have your opinion too on basic CVs and on using / not using the mobile while walking and driving.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Rose,
    Finally dear I'm in contact. Apologies a lot was going on workwise.
    My comment is on CV,s and references.... my opinion on displaying your photo on your CV: I okay that. I would want to think social media is some kind of exposure and it has already exposed us before we knew it--ref digital foot print. No reason to expose some of your information and hide some. Potential employers want to know the kind of person they have to employ. Probably your personality that is showing on your pic can earn you more scores that is when they select. Don't forget, you have to stand out. That same goes with your references. Don't forget the employer is digging deep into who the person you are so references will contribute in their search.
    good luck!!!!!!

    Regards,
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete