Saturday 22 June 2013

Hmm..I'll begin by musing about life in Dubai, so here goes... Is this a rant or rave?

Dubai has been in the news for its bid to win the Expo 2020. My husband is supporting the bid - he's so pro-Dubai.

From his point of view, winning the Expo bid will mean boost to the economy (!!), lead to an increase jobs and opportunities, increased awareness of Dubai as a global brand...and so on...

As for me, I wonder what it will do to the traffic? And real estate prices? And house rents? And the carpet-bagger returning? I'm thinking just like the middle-class Brazilians protesting about bus hikes and price hikes because their politicians forced the Football World Cup and Olympics on them. I'm sure they are proud of winning the bid - but when taxes and prices go up (but salaries don't), you do wonder and struggle. So, I'm wondering whether winning big bids like the Expo 2020 are good for middle class people. Some people will say the usual - don't like it, go home, but I think this is very negative thinking and doesn't really help.

So that's my latest rant/rave. Let us know what you think, if you wish.




1 comment:

  1. Completely agree! Your post just made me seriously think about buying our own flat. Of course, we missed all the opportunities of bust market 2008-2009, but I still have hope in future recession considering unsustainable property hike. Just today I was almost crying when I heard the price of the flat our friends bought just 1 year ago. Now it’s 1.5 times more…Such a pity!

    ReplyDelete